Wednesday, March 20, 2013

How tall, how high, how wide: Measuring Length

Our 3rd grades have been hard at work measuring length.  Our state is in a common core limbo right now so our kids still have to know how to use all of the customary and metric systems.  We started off the week measuring in inches.  Last year it was a bit of a challenge to get my 3rd graders to measure in quarter inches, but this year it was super easy.  I think it is because with the new shift to the core we had to teach fractions on a number line. 



As with all of my lessons, I started off with an anchor and notes in our interactive notebooks. (Picture coming tomorrow) 




After the students got a grasp on how to read the ruler we played my Scoot! game.  The kids loved it even though its really just a worksheet cut up into problems.  Hey! Let them move and its magical! You can grab your copy from my Teachers Pay Teachers store. 


During day 3 of our unit we started measuring in inches and plotting on a line plot.  To make this lesson fun I created a Monster Math Measurement packet. The kids loved all the different monster designs.  I posted the monsters around the room and had a small group walk around and measure them.  They recorded their measurements on their monster math tracker sheets.  I then had them get together with a group and compare their measurements.  I always try to get my kids to hold those educational conversations and help each other out. 




 

The students then used the line plot to graph their monster's measurements.  They even had their own versions of the monsters to spif up their graphs.  












The last bit of our week was spent choosing which unit to select when measuring items.  To help the kids remember which units were customary and which were metric we created an anchor chart. 









Tomorrow is our last day before Spring Break and we are all measured out!  When we get back from break we will move on to measuring capacity.  I have a ton planned for that unit!  Venterniary Nurse to measure in ml, baking a cake, making our own juice, and the list goes on and on.  Can't wait to share with you all! 

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much
    about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the
    message home a little bit, but other than that, this is fantastic blog.
    A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

    Also visit my web page diets that work fast for women

    ReplyDelete